Sunday, April 20, 2008

Violence? Just A Movie!


The Media is where most people get their information it seems to be that the majority of the time what is in the media is negative. However, does this negativity influence people to do bad things? Some people may believe that it does influence people in a negative manner and others would say that it does not have any effect of people. It is very hard to find a movie that does not depict violence in it.

As I began thinking of the movies that I have seen that show violence in them I came across The Godfather. It is a movie that not only shows many scenes of violence in them but it are also a movie that presents honor and family values in it. During the movie I felt the intensity of the violent scenes like the director intended it to do. After I had watched it however I was not having any feeling of anger or hatred toward people.

There are many things that happen during the movie that seem to be very true to life, or what we are told it is like if we do not personally know of it. You see that people will go above and beyond for their family and some that may even kill for their protection or for revenge. These things are very true in life however, I do not think that violence that is in movies or in the media is the reason to why people become violent.

Out of the book Media Literacy Third Edition by W. James Potter, there are 13 factors that can “interact in the media effects process” (Potter 249). For Knowledge structure is a good reason as to why I was able to understand that the movie was just a movie. My knowledge was mainly acquired by the people around me not by the media so I am able to filter out the violence. I think to keep your set point factors without being influenced by other factors that can stray you from your set points. A factor that can especially be controlled in my opinion is Content of the Message (255). Instead of watching so many movies that depict violence you find something else to do with your time or you can watch movies with less or no violence in it.

I personally do not feel that violence in films or in the media causes people to act violently. In my opinion I feel that people do violent things because of other emotional and environmental factors. I do not think that added violence influences people to behave aggressive. I do slightly agree that if that is all you do is watch violence then it will affect you negatively. I will try to keep filtering out the bad for myself and from others to teach them that it is just a show.

No comments: